Aktuelle Zeit: Fr 19. Apr 2024, 19:51

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 17 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Correct someone...
Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Do 12. Mai 2011, 23:24 
Pokemon-Trainer
Pokemon-Trainer

SG$: 5
Guides: 0
Seite gefunden durch: Hopfel
Yeah yeah... I know that correct writing isn't very importat in this Forum...
But I think we are here to write correct english and learn how we're able improve our english.

Sometimes I see really bad mistakes, and it hurts to see it (strange huh^^?).
In these moments I really want to correct someone or give tips.

But I don't know if you would like that, therefore I thougt I should ask first...

So.... What do you think? Is it okay for you, if someone corrects your mistakes...
Or do you just write for fun here^^?

best wishes Doloor

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: Do 12. Mai 2011, 23:24 

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Correct someone...
Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Do 12. Mai 2011, 23:35 
Pokemonzüchter
Pokemonzüchter

SG$: 46
In my opinion, everyone should try to write correctly
Even if we write for fun, the correct grammar is very important D:<
We learn from our mistakes, but sometimes ... ugh ... o_O (sorry)
I wish I could give some tips... T_T

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Fr 13. Mai 2011, 11:27 
Pokemonzüchter
Pokemonzüchter

SG$: 124
Well, most times, when I see mistakes, I send a message and correct them like this.
If someone doesn´t want the advice, then he/she has to say so or simply ignore my PMs.
Anyway, since the most of us are (partly) still learning english, we shouldn´t let mistakes go unnoticed.
In the worst case, someone thinks it´s right and gets a low mark in school.

Profil Position des Users auf der Mitgliederkarte  
Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Fr 13. Mai 2011, 14:35 
Administrator
Administrator

Guides: 3
A private message is a good idea and to correct someone in a topic is ok too, but the right topic is important and if you are able to correct there. please don't correct lots of. i think it's not so important to correct a lot. its just important that few people write correctly. the other will learn automatically, i think. and for the german users we have some Guides in the "school Forum". i would be grateful if somebody can write a further guide. :)

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Fr 13. Mai 2011, 20:24 
Pokemonforscher
Pokemonforscher

SG$: 83
Seite gefunden durch: Metroid
Hm... I think the best way to correct so. without blaming is to create a guide for every hard mistake you see in future.
It's much to write, but it will help people with a not that good English.

Oh, a question about that, why not write the guides in English to, so other people who can't speak German could learn too.
There are just two (or three?) guides in German, not that much work to translate, a subforum for this guides --> help for everyone. ^-^

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Sa 14. Mai 2011, 18:56 
Pokemon-Trainer
Pokemon-Trainer

Yeah okay... a guide...

A guide is like a paper with rules on it.
But in my opinion it's really hard to learn only with rules.

You must get a feeling for english. And you'll still make a lot of mistakes with knowing the rules.
Therefore you should write and talk a lot in english to get better.
But that's still not enough. You need someone, who can correct you, if you make still mistakes.

Reading guides is a good start, but useing it, is a complete different thing.

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Sa 14. Mai 2011, 19:20 
Pokemonforscher
Pokemonforscher

The only problem is: correcting with a post is offtopic, correcting with PM is flaming,
correcting with editing isn't that bad but only mods can do that.
So how on earth should we correct someone? xD

Erm... hey, why not make a usergroup with good-english-people who CAN edit posts in the English forum,
so they could correct.

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Sa 14. Mai 2011, 20:33 
Pokemon-Trainer
Pokemon-Trainer

Really good idea...
But when you edit a post you shouldn't delete something...
better would be to copy the text and correct it...

And still then there would be mistakes... Because I don't think that anyone here can speak perfect english ^^.

Correct someone in an answer post is possible as long as you still post something what's not offtopic

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Sa 14. Mai 2011, 21:11 
Pokemonforscher
Pokemonforscher

Zitat:
But when you edit a post you shouldn't delete something...
better would be to copy the text and correct it...

Jea, sure, I meaned something like:

It's meant not meaned.
~Hopfel

under every post or in the Edit-box.

And, for sure, we souldn't correct every little fault, just hard ones which "hurt". :D

I'd like to hear the opinion of an admin. ^-^

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Mo 16. Mai 2011, 13:42 
Administrator
Administrator

A special group that would correct the posts is not so good. the reason for this is simple. if the group corrects everybody the people will think its a service and they can write false all the time (because finally the group will correct it)

for this we can warn the users who cannot learn to post sentences in a correct english. but the next problem: everybody has a few problems with a foreign language and its hard to moderate some warnings when we don't know if the user uses the service or really don't know english very well. for this you can write "what you mean with the sentence? do you mean...?" i think its the best.

an other problem is the "rules of germany". if we have problems with some posts, they must be "original". because when the people write something wrong and the group will correct it, maybe the sense is not the same as before. and to be honest the words not too.

but not only the rules, i think to write a post is hard work for someone. you go offline and when you come online 5 hours later, your post is corrected. you were proud to write something with your own words, and then your words are different or corrected.

i think its not always so funny for someone who had written the post. and i mean that its funny and nice to see different posts and not only "correct" posts.

i think the people will understand fast without a group. one part of the users will learn it quickly, the other part slowly. and that's the sence of a forum, or don't?

@guides in english

will they looking like so:
Zitat:
If you would like to say "the house of my father is yellow", you must say "the house of my father is yellow"

? :D or how you mean that? but maybe we can get threads in english-spanish.

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Mo 16. Mai 2011, 16:47 
Pokemonforscher
Pokemonforscher

Zitat:
A special group that would correct the posts is not so good. the reason for this is simple. if the group corrects everybody the people will think its a service and they can write false all the time (because finally the group will correct it)

for this we can warn the users who cannot learn to post sentences in a correct english. but the next problem: everybody has a few problems with a foreign language and its hard to moderate some warnings when we don't know if the user uses the service or really don't know english very well. for this you can write "what you mean with the sentence? do you mean...?" i think its the best.

an other problem is the "rules of germany". if we have problems with some posts, they must be "original". because when the people write something wrong and the group will correct it, maybe the sense is not the same as before. and to be honest the words not too.

but not only the rules, i think to write a post is hard work for someone. you go offline and when you come online 5 hours later, your post is corrected. you were proud to write something with your own words, and then your words are different or corrected.

1. I think, you'd get an inverse effect with this: When you get corrected, you try to avoid making faults so you won't get corrected. It's like a little competition, you can be proud of not having many mistakes.
2. Well, if you don't want to learn English, we can nevertherless (trotzdem) teach it other people who read your post. And if you can't speak English, it's all the same (völlig egal) for you if it got corrected. Sure we wouldn't correct every little fault, but the hard ones, which we think are important to avoid.
3. Like I posted before, we would only add a little correction at the end of a post, not change the original text. So nothing will get lost and other "correcters" can change the correction if it's wrong itself.

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Di 17. Mai 2011, 10:59 
Administrator
Administrator

you say you would correct only the hard errors. but then you can write it into your answer/quote.

or on the pn-function. but i think to correct the posts can insult the writters. i think it must be an own post, which corrects the quote.

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Di 17. Mai 2011, 12:06 
Pokemonforscher
Pokemonforscher

Zitat:
you say you would correct only the hard errors. but then you can write it into your answer/quote.

That's kinda offtopic when every third post in the Englishforum is a correcting-post, isn't it?
Zitat:
or on the pn-function. but i think to correct the posts can insult the writters. i think it must be an own post, which corrects the quote.

Would it less insult him to get a correct with a post? All in all, I think we aren't that Japanese cliche, like: "No, I'm never wrong. NEVER!"
When we don't correct every tiping-fault it wouldn't be that annoying.

Well, PM would absolutely solve that, but then just that one, who got the PM, sees the fault. Actually, if it's a person which has got many of these correct-PM's already,
he wouldn't even read them. All the other users which would make the same fault also wouldn't see that. Not very effective imo.

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: Mo 23. Mai 2011, 19:02 
Pokemonforscher
Pokemonforscher

Can I take that as a "No"?

Ungelesener BeitragVerfasst: So 27. Nov 2011, 17:59 
Anfänger
Anfänger

I really hate necroing this thread, but I thought of something. There is a problem, and it needs to be solved, correct? Correcting people in the forum is a good thing, as not only it helps people learn how to speak right, but mostly important it teaches them not to speak incorrectly. If you continually speak English a certain way, and aren't corrected, then it'll be set in your brain that it's correct. Trust me, unlearning mistakes is harder than learning it the right way. So, how can we implemet such a feature here in the forums? We can't PM people for correction, because then, only that person gets the correction. We can't allow post that just correct someone's English, because they aren't helping the conversation at all, and are offtopic spam post. So, what do we do? WE ARE OUT OF OPTIONS!!!11! Whoa, calm down there! The answer is simple. (Okay, it's alittle complex, but that's a saying in English. Just roll with me here.) A post should be allowed to correct someone, in the quotes section, but only if they have more to say on the topic at hand. zB:
Post 1: I are not like the new Pokemon (spiel?!) that come out yesterday
Post 2: [quotethingy] I AM not LIKING the new Pokemon game that CAME out yesterday.[/quotethingy] Why not? I like it!
Well, that was a random example, but hopefully you get the point. But what if someone doesn't have anything more to say, but there are corrections to be made? Well, PM them! Why not? It's effective, and if they don't like being corrected (because they're idiots, sorry but why not be corrected? Stupid) then they can put something like that in another PM saying "I like being wrong, so don't correct me please!" So, with that, there needs to be something indicating that when something is posted here, if it's not correct English, then it will be bombarded with correction! Where, oh where would be put something like that? Thinking... thinking... thinking (this could take a while)... thinking... thinking.. think- alright I already knew the answer. You could have just skipped down to it you know... Anyway the rules for the English Section! Yay! Crisis averted! The villager and go on and be merry, knowing that they don't have to worry about learning wrong English!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." --Phillip II of Macedon
"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." --Dwight Eisenhower

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 17 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde